Here are my resolutions from the coming year. There may be some repetition from last year, but I suppose that just means that either I didn’t keep them and I’m giving myself a second chance, or I think I can make greater progress…
- Lose weight – I feel like I’ve eaten too much rubbish this year, particularly in the last couple of months. Therefore, this resolution can be broken down into smaller parts:
- Eat better food (e.g. more fruit and veg, less sugary stuff)
- Eat less (Emma and I often struggle to judge portion sizes for two people while cooking and then eat it all, so this can definitely improve)
- Exercise more (I can’t motivate myself, which needs to improve)
- Swear less – it’s becoming a habit, and one I don’t want.
- Learn something/improve myself – I want to do a course and/or take more flying lessons so that whatever happens at work, I can finish the year feeling as though I have achieved something.
- Keep the house tidy – I have a boom or bust relationship with cleaning and tidying. I let things slip until I can’t bear them any more and then spend several hours blitzing the place when ten minutes every day would solve the problem.
- Be more patient – this is in particular reference to my free time and hobbies. When building my models or the rare occasions when I get to paint (for instance) I get to within sight of the end and then rush things, leaving me with something with which I’m not totally happy.
- Do one thing at a time – this is kind of a follow on from the point above. I rush partly because I’ve reached an interesting stage with something else and I want to clear the decks and concentrate on the more interesting thing. If I’m not in that situation, I might not hurry so much.
- Spend less on things I don’t need or can’t use for a while – I have something like twenty unmade models sitting in the loft. I finish approximately five a year. Clearly I don’t need to buy more (unless they’re at an unbeatable price perhaps) for quite some time.
- Throw things away – this will help keep the house tidy! I need to be more ruthless with rubbish. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is transfer it from shelf/surface/drawer/box/loft/wherever to the bin.
- Do more washing – I don’t pull my weight in this department and I should.