Some time ago I mentioned that I was intending to build a model of a very strange aeroplane. I actually finished this a few weeks ago, but have only now got around to uploading the photos and writing a small amount about it.
Above is the finished article. As you can see, it’s a crazy looking plane.
The model itself wasn’t too difficult to build, and I took my time, determined to get it right. I did still make a couple of mistakes along the way, and wasn’t helped by another couple of bloopers on Airfix’s behalf.
Firstly, I bent one of the antennae (you can see it sticking out of the front of the starboard wing), and also I fogged up the front canopy whilst trying to clean it with some paint thinner. Mistakes I won’t make again (fingers crossed!).
Airfix themselves had sent out a model with a decal scheme which didn’t quite fit the reality of the finished model. As you will see in the photo below, there are bombs attached to the underside of the wings. However, on the paint/decal scheme, there is no allowance made for the bombs, and in fact the middle two letters (the C and R) are supposed to go where the bombs are attached. As a result, I had to improvise and move the letters inwards a bit. Secondly, the Balkan cross on each wing was positioned over some of the raised detail, meaning that again I had to improvise and split the decal so that it fit properly, and paint in any of the gaps that this created.
Ultimately, though, I am very pleased with the finished product. I wish I could provide some better photos, but unfortunately my camera gets funny about photographing things very close-to, and also doesn’t seem to like doing things indoors.